Family Petitions

Would you like to bring your family members to the United States? Family re-unification has been a cornerstone of the U.S. immigration policy. By law, the following are the main categories of family immigration:

  • Family of U.S. Citizens
  • Family of Green Card Holders
  • Family of Refugees & Asylees
  • Fiancé(e) Visas

If you are a U.S. citizen, we can help you sponsor
  • Your wife or husband, and their children under 21
  • Your fiancée in overseas (for a fiancée visa)
  • Your mother or father (if you are over 21)
  • Your child under the age of 21
  • Your unmarried son or daughter 21 or older
  • Your married son or daughter 21 or older, and their spouses and children
  • Your brother or sister and their spouses and children (if you are over 21)

If you are U.S. permanent resident (green card holder), we can help you sponsor
  • Your wife or husband
  • Your child under the age of 21
  • Your unmarried son or daughter 21 or older

If you are a refugee or an asylee (granted asylum) in the United States, we can help you sponsor your
  • Husband or wife
  • Child (who must be unmarried and under 21 when you first applied for asylum or refugee status)

Additional requirements:
  • You must be a principal refugee or asylee.
  • You became a U.S. refugee or asylee within the past 2 years (this requirement can be waived for humanitarian reasons)
  • You remain in refugee or asylee status or have become a permanent resident (received a green card). If you have already become a U.S. citizen through naturalization, you must petition for your family through a family-sponsored petition.
  • The family relationship had to exist before you came to the United States as a refugee or were granted asylum.

Applying for a Green Card in the United States

We can help you apply for a green card in the United States through Adjustment of Status, if
  • You are present in the U.S. legally,
  • Your family petition has been approved,
  • If your category needs a visa number, a visa number if available to you, and
  • If there are no special issues in your background.

Applying for a Green Card from Overseas
  • If you are physically outside of the United States, then you should apply for an immigrant visa to enter the U.S. as a legal resident.
  • Even if you are in the U.S., if you have previous immigration violations or subject to other grounds of inadmissibility, you may also have to depart the U.S. to apply for a visa to return.

Other Family Immigration Services that We Provide
  • Waivers: We help clients apply for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility to overcome previous immigration violations or criminal issues. (I-601)
  • Provisional Waivers: The provisional unlawful presence waiver process allows individuals, who only need a waiver of inadmissibility for unlawful presence, to apply for a waiver in the United States and before they depart for their immigrant visa interviews at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.
  • Permission to Reapply for Admission: If you have been deported from the U.S. before, you need special permission from the U.S. Attorney General before you can apply for admission again. We can help you file the application (I-212) and supporting documents.
  • Affidavits of Support: The Affidavit of Support form is one of the most confusing immigration forms to use and complete. We can help you choose and complete the right form and advise you what financial documents to use to support your case.
  • Humanitarian Restatement of Immigration Visa Petition: If the petitioner of your immigrant visa petition (I-130) passed away before you can immigrate, your case may be eligible for humanitarian reinstatement. Contact our attorney to find out if you are eligible.


  • Phone Consultations
  • Weekend/Evening Appointments
  • Out of State Services
  • VISA/MC/AE Accepted

We serve clients from all countries and walks of life from investors, professionals, skilled labourers, and people wishing to join their family members in the USA.

Contact Us


Paul Szeto LLC.
190 State Route 27
No. Edison, NJ 08820 USA

Languages: English, Cantonese, Mandarin



Admissions & Associations

Bar Admissions:
  • New York State Bar
  • U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
  • U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
  • New Jersey State Bar
  • Middlesex County Bar Association
  • California Bar (inactive)
  • New York State Bar Association
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • New Jersey State Bar Association
  • Middlesex County Bar Association
  • California Bar Association


10.0Paul P Szeto
Paul P SzetoReviewsout of 31 reviews
Go to top